Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Horrors Of Enrolling…..

…..on the insurance website. 


I just spent almost two hours helping a relative change insurances on-line. We compared several different plans. I explained premiums, copays, deductibles and showed her what "add ons" were available. She's had insurance for decades, but somehow the finer points were lost on her…"Everything was just always paid for. I didn't pay anything."  (Take that with a grain of salt…….)

One was selected and we proceeded to enroll. She does not possess a computer or computer skills…too much trouble, she says. Things were going along swimmingly until we got to the screen that  wanted her to select a primary care physician. FROZEN SCREEN. After a few minutes of maneuvering and getting nowhere, I called the 800 number on the screen.

A young gentleman, who did not want to talk to me so much, began the process again with my aunt. Repeat questions. Choose doctor. Choose pharmacy. Go over the same things. Get the same numbers. Aunt getting anxious. (She can hit every designer showroom, attend every fashion show, go to every boutique opening, and cook for twenty…but a business matter confounds her.) FINALLY we are through. She is a complete basket case. (Insert my smug expression here….)

This fine conservative Republican-voting woman had earlier given me the FOX talking points of the treachery of Obamacare. "Even the Dems are running from it," says she. And then she goes on about how she's always felt her friend took advantage of her late retired military husband's disability, Medicare, pension, retirement, double-dipping or something of that nature.

Oh, did I forget to tell you…..we were on HUMANA'S website, for Medicare plans.




No comments:

Post a Comment