Thursday, September 17, 2009

WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE?

OK, I'm showing my age.......or at least my generation: flower-child, almost.

I was a folkie: a follower of Bob Dylan, Arlo Gutherie, Joan Baez, Kris Kristofferson, Ritchie Havens, and Peter, Paul, and Mary to name a few. I loved the pictures their music painted and the stories their lyrics wove. "Where have all the flowers gone?" I loved the tight harmonies, but also the subtle, hard driving guitar beat in the background. I felt uplifted and hopeful even if they sang of hardship and freedoms hard won.

Later, I watched Laugh In. It was a beautiful, zany, politically-tinged, irreverent show. It was witty and quick: no preaching, just thought provoking and humorous. It pushed the bounds of propriety for it's time. It had a resident poet.....a sweet, funny soul always carrying a flower, by the name of Henry Gibson.

Where have the flowers gone: Good bye, Mary Travers and Henry Gibson.

No comments:

Post a Comment