Yes, we are. The "dumbing down of America" is complete.
Poll: Republicans Think Obama Is A Socialist, And Palin More Qualified To Be President
Eric Kleefeld | February 1, 2010, 3:58PM
A new Daily Kos/Research 2000 poll, conducted among 2,000 self-identified Republican respondents nationwide, gives an interesting peek into the psyche of the minority party's base.
Kos has not yet released the full numbers, but here's some early info on the poll that he has posted on his Twitter account:
• 39% of Republicans want President Obama to be impeached.
• 63% think Obama is a socialist.
• Only 42% believe Obama was born in the United States.
• 21% think ACORN stole the 2008 election -- that is, that Obama didn't actually win it, and isn't legitimately the president, with 55% saying they are "not sure." This number is actually significantly lower than it was in a similar question from Public Policy Polling (D) back in November, which said that 52% of Republicans thought ACORN stole it. So does this mean Obama is gaining ground among Republicans? As it is, only just over 20% of Republicans will say that Obama actually won the election.
• 53% think Sarah Palin is more qualified than Obama to be president.
• 23% want to secede from the United States.
• 73% think gay people should not be allowed to teach in public schools. This position puts the GOP base well to the right of none other than Ronald Reagan, who helped defeat the Briggs Initiative, a 1978 referendum in California that would have forbidden gays or people who advocated gay rights from teaching in public schools.
• 31% want contraception to be outlawed.
The right wingers have totally outclassed (??) us on this one. I cannot believe it is even possible to agree with this stuff. Don't people check facts at all? Has the average Tea Bag Party member become the symbol of the United States today? It's bad enough that the corporations (some with multinational owners) have been given the the go-ahead by our Supreme Court recently to spend all the money they can scrounge to run the political system in this country. But these are the people that will be benefitting. Raise your hand if you're scared.