Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hypocrisy On Sunday
or, How the Right Wing Extremists Interpret The News.




I usually avoid all Sunday morning political talk shows. It's not good for the digestive system. But I did happen to catch CBS this morning, and while I don't care one way or the other for Tavis Smiley...meaning sometimes I agree but other times I feel he's off course...I was impressed with what he had to say. The topic was poverty in our country, something the Repubs just gloss over, or blame on the poor themselves. Mr. Smiley did a straight forward, factual, emotional piece: NO MENTION of Repubs or Dems, left or right, white or black or hispanics, male or female, this president or that one. Just a solid piece.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57476855/tavis-smiley-poverty-is-the-new-slavery/?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.13


I was TOTALLY taken back by the comments on the article, as you can see for yourself:

"Slavery, really? You make me sick. Slavery is code for it's the white guy's fault. The problem with the economy is in the White House. Smiley, I put you in the same category as Wright, Sharpton, & Jackson. You, like them, are race baiters and serve only to enflame hate. You are as big a racist as the Klan."


What is WRONG with this country? Is the divide, hate, ignorance and refusal to adhere to facts  too deep? Has the Right Wing Extreme Machine done THAT great a job? Do we have ourselves to blame, libs? 


We can say that the Right lives in an alternate reality...but it's here on the same ground as the rest of us. I don't want to believe that regular people think that way. I'm ashamed for them and scared at the same time. What does the future hold if this sort of thinking and behavior wins out..........?

No comments:

Post a Comment